Services must meet the unique needs of your child in accordance with federal law. Your child’s IEP must include these services and a statement of areas of need. An instructional program and/or related services may be provided to address those unique needs. The rights and services for three to five-year-old children under IDEA are the same as those for children aged 5 to 22. Services may include:
- Observation and monitoring of the child;
- Activities developed to conform with the child’s IEP and to enhance the child’s development;
- Consultation with family, preschool teachers and other service providers;
- Assistance to parents in coordinating services;
- Opportunities for the child to develop play and pre-academic skills; and self-esteem
- Access to developmentally appropriate equipment and specialized materials.
[Cal. Ed. Code Sec. 56441.3(a).] See Chapter 4, Information on IEP Process.