Menu Close

(6.13) How do I file a compliance complaint with my local district?

(6.13) How do I file a compliance complaint with my local district?

If your complaint does not meet the grounds for directstate interventionby CDE, you should send the complaint to your district superintendent of schools or director of special education. [5 C.C.R. Sec. 4630(c).]

Each district must have its own written complaint investigation policy and procedure that has been approved by its board of education. Be sure to request a copy of your district’s complaint investigation process before you file a complaint.

You should fully describe your situation, including which parts of the law have been violated. You may not know the exact sections of law that have been violated. If you describe the situation adequately, the district should match the correct sections with your particular situation. If your child’s IEP or other documents are relevant to your complaint, you should attach them.

If your complaint concerns discrimination, harassment, intimidation or bullying, it must be filed within six months from the date the conduct occurred, or from the date you first knew about the discrimination, harassment, intimidation or bullying. This six month period may be extended by the District Superintendent, if you ask for an extension in writing. [5 C.C.R. Sec. 4630(b).]