The rights and services for three to five-year-old children available under the IDEA are the same as those for children aged five to 22. In accordance with IDEA, services must meet the unique needs of your child in accordance with IDEA. Your child’s IEP must include these services and a statement of areas of need. Services may include, but are not limited to:
- Observation and monitoring of the child;
- Activities developed to conform with the child’s IEP and to enhance the child’s development;
- Consultation with family, preschool teachers and other service providers;
- Assistance to parents in coordinating services;
- Opportunities for the child to develop play and pre-academic skills; and self-esteem; and
- Access to developmentally appropriate equipment and specialized materials.
[Cal. Ed. Code Sec. 56441.3(a).] See Chapter 4, Information on IEP Process.